Almond Apple Pie for the Holidays
I was wondering… Why apples for the holidays? I did my research, and it was quite interesting, first of all apples were used before for decoration on the christmas trees around the 17th century, interestingly they have different meanings depending on cultures and religion, from the representation of forbidden fruits up to representing the Holy Eucharist on Christmas time.
Interesting facts about apples and holidays, in China there is an unsual apple eating tradition, people give apples as presents since the word apple in Mandarin sounds like “peace”. I like this one, so whenever I prepare or give apples, I’ll be sharing peace!!!!!!
For the pie crust
- 1 heaping cup unbleached all purpose (sub up to half with whole wheat pastry flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 Tbsp cold butter (non-dairy for vegan)
- 3-6 Tablespoons cold water
For the filling:
- 7 apples, cored, peeled and sliced (a mix of sweet and tart)
- scant 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of pumpkin spice
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp butter (non-dairy for vegan)
For the topping:
- 1 cup of almond
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- pinch sea salt
- 4 Tbsp cold butter (non-dairy for vegan)
Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees.
- For the crust: Mix salt in flour and cut butter into flour with a fork until it is all well blended. Add enough water until the dough scrapes away from the bowl.
- Remove from bowl, mold together with hands on a well-floured surface until is non-sticky.
- Extend the dough in the pan, it doesn’t matter if it looks rustic.
- For the Apples:m Add them to a bowl and toss with sugar, cinnamon, pumpkin spice and flour. Add to pie crust and top with 1 Tbsp butter, scored into little dots or strips. Add the almonds as topping and toss a little bit more of sugar and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes.
Take it out and let it rest for 30 minutes before slicing, and voilà!!!!!! ❤️
As you prepare it remember you are sharing peace and lots of Joy & Love.
This new year in everything you do, remember to put all of your highest vibrations. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
With Love & Joy